Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The New License Plate Mount Pegs Mirror and Shocks

This is the project in its current state.

I installed the new license plate mount from Lowbrow. Its bare steel, but I clear-coated it with a 2-part urethane (see earlier post for a link). Bolting it on was easy, but the painful part was removing the stock license plate mount! I ended up having to remove the whole fender, so I could drill out these fing rivets attaching the original mount to the fender. The big bonus though, in addition to losing the stock mount, was losing those reflectors on the bottom edge of the fender.

Painful as it was, I like the new mount and the fact that those damn reflectors are gone.

I also installed some new, short 10" shocks from Licks today (http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1838). Very easy to bolt right on. Be sure to torque those bolts properly and use loctite...you dont want those to rattle loose at any point in time. So far the ride is not any more painful that I can tell compared to the stock shocks. They definitely feel shorter when youre on the bike. But Im not too sure you can see much of a difference. Per Licks Cycles, they break in, and the eye-to-eye measurement after that is 10". Maybe thats true...

The pegs mounted up just fine to some HD mid-controls I got off eBay for cheap. I was impressed with the pegs because they are very well made, they seem to be actual cast brass, instead of brass plate.

If I may mention it again, notice the absence of reflectors beneath the rear fender.

I also got around to putting the new mirror from Licks on there finally (link in previous post). The right one didnt fit because of the cables and what not, so Im just rockin the left side.

Small, but with a decent field of vision.